4. Re: cable for long xlr microphone cables

Subject: 4. Re: cable for long xlr microphone cables
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:42 pm ((PDT))

<the advantage of using

Avocet wrote:

> <That is not how to wire quad cable. Two opposite conductors are
> connected to ground and the other two carry the signal. This balances
> out external magnetic interference. If a double connected signal wire
> breaks, you are likely to get an intermittent connection which could
> produce fizzle or crackle. Also the cable impedance is given for the
> standard quad connection, but as I have said before this is not
> important for low impedance devices up to a few hundred metres.>

Now I am really confused.

A google search including the Canare web site tells me that with quad
cable you definitely pair the colours together (like with like), one
colour to pin 2, the other colour to pin 3, and the shield to pin 1.  =

e.g. if I am using cable that has blue and white wires, then I
combine the two blue wires together and solder to pin 3, and the two
white wires go to pin 2.

Are you saying only one blue wire would go to pin 3, and the other
blue wire to the ground?  And one white to pin 2, the other to ground?

Vicki Powys
Australia