the built-in mics

Subject: the built-in mics
You could do a quick test using add-on mics (EM172s), simply by
comparing pairs of recorders.  Whichever one performs best of a pair,
retain that one for the next test, and so on, until you come up with
an overall winner.  I am curious because I think I have heard it said
that the Sony D50 had better pre-amps than the M10.  For the test you
would only need two sets of stereo electret mics (rather than 5 sets).

Of course there are other things that come into it, such as ease of
use in the field and battery use.  And also that quirk of the Olympus
LS10 (not in your test) whereby using it at maximum gain on low
sensitivity setting gives a lower-noise result than when using a
lower gain at high sensitivity setting.

It is easy for me to suggest tests you could do, but another thing
for you to have to do them :-)

Vicki Powys
Australia