Re: Measuring Pre-Amps

Subject: Re: Measuring Pre-Amps
From: "Jez" tempjez
Date: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:49 pm ((PDT))
Hi Marcus,

firstly, there are some better choices than the recorders you mention - or at
least 'as good' in terms of performance, features, pre-amps & build quality:

Roland R-44
Tascam DR-680

those are worth looking at too. The Fostex is ok, a bit plastic-y for the price
& the pre-amps don't have a lot of umpff.

The Sound Devices is in a different class & they are much better. I use them
now & i've tried most recorders around, or had access to them for periods of
time. The Sound Devices recorders are very, very good indeed.

The specs in terms of pre-amps only tell you some of the story. If you're
recording ambiences (I assume you mean in the field recording definition of the
term) then you want the quietest pre-amps you can get as you'll be recording
low level sounds or environments that have detail across the spectrum.

If you can find folks who have the recorders you're thinking of & have a go
with them.

Also, be careful what you read on some of the gear forums. Often posters defend
the equipment they have & knock the stuff they don't or do the same thing that
shop assistants in guitar shops do (we all know what we're talking about there
- right ?).

If you can afford the SD go for it, if not then the other recorders will do a
lot & you'll learn a lot by working in ways to get past any limitations you do
come across.