Moose encounters SSM

Subject: Moose encounters SSM
From: "Ray Mansell" BCTess
Date: Sun Jun 3, 2012 5:58 pm ((PDT))
I'm currently on holiday in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova
Scotia. One of the main reasons for coming here (inspired by Mark Brennan's
recordings) was to find a place where I could record away from the constant
rumble of noise in New York's Hudson Valley. It is also a chance to put my
new Telinga SSM through its paces.

Early this morning I headed out to a fairly remote lake to record the dawn
chorus, set up the SSM and an LS-100 beside the lake, and headed back to
the car (the temperature had fallen close to freezing point). At one point
I heard a lot of water noises, so headed down to see what was going on. As
I arrived, I saw a female moose with a tiny calf emerge from the lake mist,
plodding along the lake edge straight towards my site. Not wanting to
disturb them I headed back to the car and waited. What happened next can be
heard here: http://soundcloud.com/llesnam-yar/moose-encounter (best with
headphones).

I'm very happy with the SSM, and it will certainly be getting more workouts
this week.

Ray...