Re: Common Raven, Northern Flicker, Dark-eyed Junco, Western Meadowl

Subject: Re: Common Raven, Northern Flicker, Dark-eyed Junco, Western Meadowl
From: "hartogj" hartogj
Date: Thu May 31, 2012 6:16 pm ((PDT))
Hi Peter,

Yes, they could always turn it down =96 or turn it up.
Did it seem to loud to you?

"Natural" in this case is based on my embarrassingly imprecise calibration =
method of speaking in a natural voice one meter in front of the mics, and n=
oting the gain setting on the recorder where that voice comes to about -30d=
B on the recording levels. I arbitrarily chose -30dB because that is what M=
artyn says he uses with his calibration method, plus it seems to allow plen=
ty of headroom while still enough saturation for accuracy of most quiet nat=
ural ambience.

I amplify or attenuate for consistency in comfortable playback levels betwe=
en a variety of my material.

For this particular location the natural ambience was probably at least 10 =
dB lower than the ambient noise level of my listening environment at home. =
For that reason trying to listen to the recording at a "natural" level woul=
d be completely futile.

John Hartog
Rockscallop.org