1. sanken cuw-180 recording

Subject: 1. sanken cuw-180 recording
From: "Jez" tempjez
Date: Mon May 28, 2012 3:19 am ((PDT))
a short extract from a long (& somewhat wet) dawn chorus recorded in
Sweden, May 2012 with the Sanken CUW-180 mic into SD7 series recorder.
No processing.
http://soundcloud.com/jrf-tests/dawn-chorus-with-rain-sweden

--- In  "Jez" <> wrote:

> the ccs-5 has a declared enl-a of 18db, which is quite high as specs
go. Having said that & following an email from the folks at Sanken in
regards to me initial findings on the CUW-180's enl, it's raised some
questions. I'm sure these issues have been discussed at length here
already but....

> 1) the tolerance range of enl & other specs is quite wide. For example
it seems the policy of most of the manufacturers whose info once can
access is to state the enl as at or above its highest test result.

> 2) it seems quite a few places have done lots of research on the very
wide variation in test results for individual microphones. One, as yet
unpublished paper from a uni here in the UK records an average
difference between declared self noise specs & performance tests as as
much as 4.6db ! & some having 10db less enl than the specs stated !

> 3) does anyone have a link to a really, really good & unbiased study
on the links between self noise & other factors in terms of the actual
performance of the mics ?

> 4) in terms of the CUW-180, whilst it has an enl of 17db i've now
given it a quick, simple test against different mics with spec'd lower
enl & its quieter than all of them so far.