5. Re: Mixing using Headphones

Subject: 5. Re: Mixing using Headphones
From: "Jez" tempjez
Date: Fri May 25, 2012 11:10 am ((PDT))
perhaps its the difference between a Dire Straits album & a Joy Division on=
e :)

&, i'll say again, recordings of natural sound simply have never been produ=
ced or mixed in such spaces in the vast majority of cases - so that, since =
the beginning of recorded sound, must have been doing something 'right' als=
o.

--- In  Scott Fraser <> wr=
ote:

> <<Of course the best mixing
> environment is a properly designed listening space with top class
> loudspeakers with five zeroes in its cost, but if you put up a mic in
> there, you will get some very odd results. The final mix is to be
> listened to on a home system with no acoustic treatment and
> indifferent speakers and will sound very different from the mixing
> studio.>>
>
> It will sound different in the home listening environment than in the stu=
dio, however, it is the job description & the art of the recording & master=
ing engineers to insure that the final product translates well into all pos=
sible playback scenarios. It will be different, but if the engineer does hi=
s/her job right it will not be different to the point that vital informatio=
n in the balance & spectrum is obscured or given inappropriate emphasis. Th=
is task is accomplished successfully on a daily basis, so I guess we must b=
e doing something correctly.