Re: Gordon Hempton Article

Subject: Re: Gordon Hempton Article
From: "Fred Bell" listeningfor1
Date: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:49 pm ((PDT))
Thanks for linking the article.  That's some good press!

I haven't heard too much about this, but now that the FAA has been mandated=
 to convert the air traffic controls old ground based navigational system t=
o a modern GPS navigational system will there be real opportunities to rout=
e jets away from national parks?  My understanding is that GPS will give ai=
r traffic controllers more flexibility and tighter controls.  It seems like=
 now is the time for us all to make some "noise" for quiet.

On a second note, I visited OSI last August.  While I totally support Mr. H=
empton's quest for establishing natural quiet, I think there's unintended c=
onsequences regarding OSI that the article alluded to.  When I reached the =
location there was not just one stone marking the special square-inch but m=
any stones unnaturally relocated by other visitors and scattered across the=
 log and the forest floor.  Even worse, people had written notes on paper a=
nd tucked them under these stones.  Technically, this is littering within a=
 national park.  Afterwards, I spoke with a very thoughtful ranger at the t=
rail head.  His sentiments paralleled mine, OSI is a wonderful ideal, but t=
here might be better ways to get the point across.  Excessive travel to an =
off-trail location, rearranging the natural elements and littering is not a=
 good way to solicit support from park personnel.  OSI is certainly a catch=
y phrase and a high ideal, but I would have traveled to the Hoh River valle=
y regardless.  I would argue that since it's a rather small minority of us =
who would like to see the nation's air traffic rerouted and likely inconven=
ienced for the sake of natural quiet, it would serve us well to consider th=
e consequences of our actions and to explore alternative courses.

Fred Bell

--- In  "hartogj" <> wrote=
: