[Nature Recordists] extreme amplification

Subject: [Nature Recordists] extreme amplification
From: Raimund <>

Hi Greg and Jez:

Unfortunaetly I'm currently too busy with other things. We have discussed these
noise issues several time here during last few years and I already tried to
explain the theoretical background
(http://www.avisoft.com/tutorial_mic_recorder.htm).

To summarize it: For theoretic reasons, it is just impossible to improve the
noise performane of a good microphone (lets say a Sennheiser MKH or whatever
you
like) and a recorder such as a SD 7xx series or even a Fostex FR2-LE by adding
an additional (even zero-noise) amplifier. Once the noise floor of the
microphone exceeds the noise floor of the inbuilt preamp of the recorder by
lets
say 10 dB, an additional preamp will make things only worse. It would just
reduce the available dynamic range (increasing the risk for introducing
clipping).

Regards,
Raimund