3. Re: SD 7 series recorders with / without a 302

Subject: 3. Re: SD 7 series recorders with / without a 302
From: "hartogj" hartogj
Date: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:40 am ((PDT))
Any reports on the fieldworthiness of the Neumann TLM103? How does it stand=
 up in long duration outdoor elements?

The Rode NT1A is certainly worthy of mention, albeit less smooth frequency =
response than the TLM103 when comparing spec graphs.  For folks like me wor=
king with a very limited financial budget, the NT1A has great bang for the =
buck. I have used the same two NT1As on many rugged adventures over the las=
t eight years with very few problems. The main issues I have noticed with t=
he NT1a are high sensitivity to wind and physical vibrations, and occasiona=
l humidity effects that seem to coincide with ambient temperature crossing =
dew point.

John Hartog
rockscallop.org

--- In  Scott Fraser <> wr=
ote:

> << do members have some ideas of which mics out there have the strongest =
signal with the least noise ? I've used most of the usual suspects but i'd =
be interested in knowing if there are any not so obvious ones out there tha=
t deliver a hefty level & are quiet in terms of self noise.>>

> Overlooked here often are large diaphragm mics, which, all other things b=
eing equal, have an inherently better noise performance than small diaphrag=
m mics. If you could deal with the added size & weight a good way to gain a=
bout 6 to 8dB noise improvement over the usual Schoeps & Sennheiser MKH mod=
els would be a pair of Neumann TLM103s. They match extremely low self noise=
 with an exceptionally high output. The downside, beside the bulk, is that =
large diaphragm condensers are not as flat in frequency response as the bes=
t small diaphragms, although the rising high end characteristic of the TLM1=
03 could certainly be compensated in post. I see these listed for sale used=
 every week in the Los Angeles Craigslist for around $700. For several year=
s this was the quietest mic on the market until a new Rode model bested it =
by a dB.