3. Re: SD 7 series recorders with / without an additional pre-amp

Subject: 3. Re: SD 7 series recorders with / without an additional pre-amp
From: "Martyn Stewart" mijdog2000
Date: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:19 pm ((PDT))
What I basically mean is that if the sound source is in the very far distan=
ce, I prefer to record the ambient sound that I actually hear around me inc=
luding distant sounds naturally, I think to try and amplify something in th=
e distance makes the listening environment false. By jacking up the gain yo=
u bring a whole host of noises that are not natural to the actual soundscap=
e. My headphones should reflect what I'm listening too without them and so =
should the actual recording. I hear only too often noisy soundscapes becaus=
e the gain was increased too much. Microphones are not ears and they do not=
 discriminate so trying to capture what is real is my objective always.

Martyn

Martyn Stewart
www.naturesound.org
www.soundofcritters.com
425-898-0462

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 19, 2012, at 11:24 AM, "hartogj" <> wrote:

> >In 40 plus years of working in sound,
> >I have never really understood the need
> >to amplify the sound of tranquility
> >to what it actually sounds like in reality.
>
> Hi Martyn,
> Is this because your main objective is species recordings more so than th=
e ambient backgrounds of the soundscapes?