Mic for Nightingale Walk was Wind in the Willow(s) - MX391.........

Subject: Mic for Nightingale Walk was Wind in the Willow(s) - MX391.........
From: "tk7859" tk7859
Date: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:32 am ((PDT))

Hi Mike

Thanks for your comments - thought provoking as usual.

I don't think I have the DIY skills to even think about tackling modificati=
ons to my NT4.  However the the Roland in-ear mics set me googling.  I see =
it is possible to monitor through them while recording.  It seems a possibi=
lity.  Is there much of a feedback problem?

Another item I read suggested they were hissy.  Given the price of them (ni=
ce to see UK price has not been inflated too much cf USA) maybe they use Pa=
nasonic WM61As.

Thinking about this I remembered a pair of spectacle mounted WM61As I made =
4/5 years ago.  I unearthed them and recorded while listening through headp=
hones.  No feedback noticeable.  A photo is shown here

https://picasaweb.google.com/G0SBW.PM/MicForNightingaleWalk

Given the nature of the walk with 20 people listening for the birds (I've b=
een told there could be up to 40 males looking for mates; each with its own=
 territory) I think there will be a lot of walking. A head worn, binaural m=
ic + earphones seems a good way to go.

I've started making a stereo pair of EM172s which can be spectacle worn or =
used in a boundary rig.  Not sure about the headband wind preventer shown i=
n the photo - maybe a woollen beanie will be better.  Eight days to the wal=
k so I should have made an informed choice of gear by them

Cheers TomR

--- In  "Mike Rooke" <> wrote:

> MX391 in a blimp or the NT4. I modified my NT4 fitting NT45-O capsules to=
 it and removing the fixed capsule angle. A pair of ears fit the capsules a=
nd the whole lot slides into a blimp -end result pseudo binaural rig with i=
mproved SNR due to the ears, keeping the battery option or phantom power. :=
)

> Tree binuaral with the Shure mics would also sound good.
>
> I recently traveled to Whitesands bay / Wales with rather too much gear, =
ended up using Roland in-ear binaural mics + Neumann WSB100 wind screen for=
 many of the recordings and the MX391O blimp rig for the rest / waves / roc=
k pools etc.

> I guess the bottom line is to use something you know works or is proven f=
rom prior field recording trips. Wind noise protection and adequate sensiti=
vity with low enough noise for the area.