[Nature Recordists] Re: Initial SASS test shows bands of harmonics

Subject: [Nature Recordists] Re: Initial SASS test shows bands of harmonics
From: Raimund <>
=C2=A0
Peter, you wrote:

> The clipped noise is from me handling the array as I wrap the towel over =
it.

I just listened to your recording again. I can indeed hear the (acoustic) n=
oise
caused by the towel. But there is also another clipped noise at 6.4 and 6.9=
 sec
that has a different quality, which is alslo visible on the waveform.

I guess that this crackling noise is caused by poor electrical contact betw=
een
the TRS plug and the mic input socket, which is a common problem with PIP
microphones.

As far as I know, it is caused by the DC current that flows through the
connectors. Such a poor electrical contact can then also increase the overa=
ll
source impedance and so reduce the immunity against electromagnetic
interferences. That would be at least a consitent theory for the sudden sta=
rt of
the interferences at that point in time.

Regards,
Raimund