sounds from okhla bird sanctuary

Subject: sounds from okhla bird sanctuary
From: "Abhijit Menon-Sen"
Date: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:12 am ((PST))
Hi.

Here is an ineptly-mixed series of recordings from Okhla Bird Sanctuary
in New Delhi, India (from a trip on November 26, 2011 with a friend):

http://toroid.org/misc/obs-mp3

I took about a dozen recordings (Olympus LS-11, inbuilt microphones),
discarded a few, and mixed (portions of) eight together to make the
recording above.

I'm sharing this mostly because of the range of birds I encountered that
day. There is a Striated Grassbird (Megalurus palustris) singing its odd
wooden-bell song, distant Bar-headed Geese (Anser indicus), a Bluethroat
(Luscinia svecica), Red Munias (Amandava amandava), Plain, Graceful, and
Yellow-bellied Prinias (Prinia inornata/gracilis/flaviventris), Striated
Babblers (Turdoides earlei), and many other species representative of a
visit to the sanctuary.

(There's also a series of decelerating whistles I can't place at around
Message: 1m40s.
Subject: Any suggestions? Could it be a White-tailed Stonechat, Saxicola
leucurus?)

Please excuse the numerous glitches, including some abrupt level changes
(I didn't collect enough material to cross-fade them out properly), plus
the background noise (including a plane). In retrospect, I tried to do a
lot more than I should have for a first-time mixing project, both in the
field and during "post". But I've learned a lot from it nevertheless.

Next time, I'll produce something nicer to listen to.

-- ams