Re: 12 Guage Microphones

Subject: Re: 12 Guage Microphones
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:15 am ((PST))
IMO a very poor taste choice of name & packaging, at least in the context o=
f nature recording. Be that as it may, there are a number of similar tiny c=
apsule mics mounted in similar XLR shell sized packages, which seem to soun=
d OK on music sources. Conspicuously missing on all the sites of these make=
rs is info on self noise performance, presumably because it is quite poor d=
ue to the physics of small diaphragm capsules. Hard to beat the price, but =
given that a state-of-the-art manufacturer such as DPA achieves only about =
-23dB A rated self noise in their 4060 miniature capsule, I would expect a =
$35 homebuilt package to be noticeably worse. Just speculating, but I would=
n't have high hopes for a silver bullet here.

Scott Fraser