Re: great article about quiet places by Virgina Morell

Subject: Re: great article about quiet places by Virgina Morell
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Sun Jan 8, 2012 6:39 pm ((PST))
I don't understand part of this article:
"I put on the headphones and was suddenly engulfed in birdsong-so much so t=
hat for a moment I took them off to look around. Where were all these birds=
?"

"What you're hearing through the headphones is the world the way our ancest=
ors heard it, before mechanical sounds dominated everything," Krause explai=
ned. "The microphone pulls in the biophony, so it seems that you're in your=
 own private music hall."

This sounds like it's being suggested that our ancestors could hear thing w=
e can't hear because of mechanical noise, yet in this situation there shoul=
d have been none. I would have thought all that was happening was that it w=
as amplified by the recorder, and that the listener was simply too far away=
 to hear them unaided. Or is this simply an illustration of the sounds that=
 are out there to be heard, if we get close enough?

I've only recently started making recordings, and even more recently ambien=
t recordings, so I've only just realised how hard it is to get away from no=
ise. My pet hate is "frivolous" noise - the sound of small aircraft carryin=
g joyriders, trailbikers tearing up a mountainside, etc. Unlike the sound o=
f a factory, I get no benefit from the process making the noise, and in my =
opinion they don't get a lot either, and the sound is continuous and carrie=
s for huge distances.

Peter Shute