Re: desiccating AT3032 mics

Subject: Re: desiccating AT3032 mics
From: "Gordon Hempton" pipestonecanyon
Date: Wed Jan 4, 2012 11:10 am ((PST))
Dan, I have not used the AT3032'S but I had condensation issues with my
Neumann microphones in rainy Pacific NW. Then  I started to store and also
carry my microphone in a separate bag loaded with desiccants.  I use a bag
large enough (military surplus helmet bag) so that I can store the entire
setup (ready to go), and then the microphones continue to dry while flying,
driving or whatever.  I have not had a problem since I started doing this
then except once while in the tropics. I solved that problem by placing my
microphones in a plant dryer at night (the kind meant used by botanists tha=
are preparing plant specimens).  I used the dryer at night and then during
the day  I used the desiccant microphone bag.  I get my desiccant from
U-Line by the gallon pre-packaged in #2 bags (use three bags per microphone
and change them every couple of months-you can just feel the weight and if
they are heavier than new ones then change them).  This condensation issue
was such a headache for me that I now follow this practice no matter what
the make or model of microphone.  See
http://www.uline.com/BL_1001/Kraft-Bag-Clay-Desiccants  for cheap desiccant=
.
The plant dryer is home made and very similar to food dryers but lower
temperature (air flow is driven by a single light bulb), they can be made t=
fold up nicely. Hope this information helps.-Gordon

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
http://www.pctools.com/
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D