1. Re: Help choosing low cost mic with Sony PCM-M10

Subject: 1. Re: Help choosing low cost mic with Sony PCM-M10
From: "escalation746" escalation746
Date: Sun Jan 1, 2012 10:22 am ((PST))
David Brinicombe wrote:

> However, we are talking about using the built-in mic pair which by
> definition can't be put at the small focal point of a parabola.

A solution is to ignore one channel and treat the recorder as a mono device
with a built-in omni microphone. This one mic can then be placed at the focus
of the paraboloid.

A second solution is to forget the dish and simply place the recorder closer to
the sound source. Stick it in the crook of a tree or mount it on a tripod and
back off a distance. With the insanely long battery life you can let it record
for several hours and come back to see what you've captured.

Carrying a recorder and tripod is a lot easier than an entire dish setup. As
others have said, getting the mic closer to the sound is a better optimising
strategy than any other (including buying more gear).

I suggest experimenting with the recorder as-is, since none of the cheap omni
mics are going to be appreciably better than what the M10 already provides. Do
this while you save up for a second-hand Sennheiser ME66 + K6, perfect for
those times when this technique is impractical.

-- robinparmar.com