Re: Any last minute advice for recording in the Amazon rainforest?

Subject: Re: Any last minute advice for recording in the Amazon rainforest?
From: "michael trommer" trommersanssoleil
Date: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:58 am ((PST))
Hi daan...

On a slightly different note:

If you plan on leaving your gear for extended recording sessions, I=B9d
suggest bringing some flashing bike lights to mark its location =AD the mor=
interesting sounds are definitely to be found @ night, and it=B9s amazingly
easy to =8Close=B9 your gear in a dark jungle.

Have fun...

michael

On 11-12-11 8:18 AM, "davimon100" <> wrote:

> [...]
 for
> a recording gig, may give you some other useful tips.
>
> http://www.amps.net/newsletters/NewJournal/Issue65.pdf
>
> You should pop round before you go - I have a case you may want to take f=
or
> your D50.  It is new and you have it for nichts.  I have some fur fabric =
too.
> It looks like it comes from a rare animal but the customs folk will let i=
> through.
>
> Rycote make a rain cover that will surely do a great job, like most of th=
eir
> products, but is also about =A375.- so probably not top of your list.
>
> David
>
> --- In
> <naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com> , "hartogj" <=
>
> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Daan,
>> > I have not recorded in humid and wet rainforests such as you are plann=
ing,
>> but here in the Pacific Northwest my gear gets rained on fairly often.
>> >
>> > I find that fake fur or polar fleece type windscreen fabric
>> > over the windscreen cage is enough to keep rain from direct contact wi=
th
>> the microphones.  Maybe a fur cover for your zeplin is all you need -  a=
nd
>> perhaps bring an extra change to use while the other is drying.
>> >
>> > I would think a zeplin would also be adequate protection against most
>> things likely fall from the canopy. If you would feel safe standing ther=
>> without a hardhat on, then your mics will probably be fine too. Just set=
 up
>> somewhere safe.
>> >
>> > Watch the weather forecasts and plan accordingly. Plan your most criti=
cal
>> recording sessions for when the conditions are most favorable.
>> >
>> > Tropical places I have visited seem to have a daily rhythm for rainfal=
l.
>> Wait for the bulk of the daily rain to pass, then put out your gear.
>> >
>> > A misty fog will impact on the vegetation and drip, creating a rain be=
neath
>> the canopy, so for such conditions you might want to place your gear out=
 in a
>> clearing, not under the canopy. Otherwise try scouting while it is raini=
ng to
>> find relatively sheltered spots.
>> >
>> > I do not have advice for making a roof over the mics. I attempted that=
 once
>> with a wool blanket, but I gave up pretty quickly - dusk was approaching=
 and
>> it was taking to much time to figure out how to string it up high enough=
.

>> > Usually my biggest concern when leaving gear unattended is theft from
>> another human. Place it either where you can guard it, or where it will =

lan
is

 for
the