[Nature Recordists] Re: binaural recording - rural from this morni=

Subject: [Nature Recordists] Re: binaural recording - rural from this morni=
From: Mike Rooke <>
ng.

=A0
Difficult question, I don't recall using the MX391O's around the head, cert=
ainly
not containing the same environment which is unfortunate. It really was a g=
ood
recording, central image was quite "there" for me using HD25-1 II headphone=
wing flapping and calls quite startling. Maybe try collapsing the width dow=
n a
little with MS processing pushing 1Khz up in the side channel - how to do t=
hat
is quite apparent if you use KU81i material into a matrix and observe the
mid/side response - theres what I call key crossing points which over time =
will
show the response clearly. if you can match based on the size of head the r=
est
is EQ. But it sounds fine as is so I doubt theres much to do in this regard=
.

Nearly all the binaural recordings on my soundcloud are using single EM172/=
3's
and the Sony D50. I have three MZK2002 heads, one is the original with mke =
mics,
one using EM172's inside the ear canal, and another with EM172's mounted ju=
st
near the concha volume.

This is the MZK2002 + ear canal mounted mics (single EM173's) with the Rode=

blimp fur pulled over it dangling on a boom pole..

http://soundcloud.com/urlme/catching-waves-1

Same location but boundary mic's (not binaural using the MX391 omni's) & bo=
om.

http://soundcloud.com/urlme/monte-gordo-beach-portugal

Its perhaps better for me to setup a pair of MZK2002's one using the Primo=

capsules and the other with the Shure capsules taped to the side (pointing=

forwards) to compare them - Dual EM172's should be much quieter but the MX3=
91O
highs probably continue for a little longer > 15Khz that is.

BR
Mike.

--- In  Mark Brennan <=
..>
wrote:

> Mike, do you have anything online I can listen to that's from the Shure M=
X391

@>
>wrote:
> >
> > Hello everyone, out this morning with my dummy head, Zoom H4N and clip =
on
>Telinga's. This is an unedited binaural recording from near home just afte=
r the
>sun rose. Watch out for the crow.. he was sitting up to the right of the m=
ics
>and really let loose with his call. Lots of flapping wings, best with head=
phones
>to get the full effect. Rock Doves (pigeons) a lone Am. Robin, Blue Jays,=

>chickadee's and roosters. 13 minutes long.
>

> > http://soundcloud.com/wildearthvoices/saturday-morning-binaural
> >

> > Cheers
> >
> > Mark
> >
> > =C2=A0
> > Mark A. Brennan
> > Canadian Landscape Painter - web
> > Nature Recordist - web
> > Follow me on:
> > twitter=C2=A0 facebook=C2=A0 soundcloud=C2=A0 bandcamp

Also, please let us know what the spacing of the MX391o mics were, the angl=
es
that they were set to and what kind of material (if any) was between them?

Thanks for your help & keep up the good work!

-Greg