Re: Red Deer rutting roars

Subject: Re: Red Deer rutting roars
From: "NordicNature" nordicsounds
Date: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:02 pm ((PST))
Great recordings and writing.
I'm glad that you found them.
About the sound the deer makes in the last recording which you describe, "a=
nd he gave 4 very loud snorts". In my experience they make that sound when =
they "sense" or most likely smell that something they don't like is (to) cl=
ose. It's probably both a threat/warning against you in this case, but also=
 a sign (sound) that they are insecure. It's probably a warning to other de=
er as well.
I've heard it a lot of times when I've been to close. It's a very powerful =
sound to hear up close and when you are sitting in the middle of the night =
in complete darkness and suddenly hear that sound close to you... It can sc=
are anyone...
Most of the times I have heard this sound, is when It's in the middle of th=
e night or very dark.
Elk have almost exactly the same "warning" sound. Even the female elk have =
this powerful warning sound.
Nothing of this is scientific. It's just my experience of deer and elk.

/H=E5kan
www.soundcloud.com/nordicnature

--- In  "chrishails50" <> wrote=
:

> Dear all,
>
> My search for the Red Deer rut last month worked out fine and I have now =
sorted things things out and written it up. Click here if you'd like to lis=
ten: