Re: newbie question on recording in wet enviornment, positioning

Subject: Re: newbie question on recording in wet enviornment, positioning
From: "hartogj" hartogj
Date: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:36 pm ((PDT))
Hi Chuck,
Hopefully you got some good recordings. It will be interesting to hear what you
tried and how it worked out.

Microphone height:
High = broader perspective of landscape, less obstruction from surrounding
terrain or underbrush, a possibility for facing microphones downward toward
subject.
Normal Tripod Height = comfortable, convenient position for the user with
minimal stooping or reaching to setup and make adjustments.
Ground Level = sometimes less phase issues from ground reflections, though more
diffraction or shadowing from terrain.

Personally, I would not risk getting my recorder wet. The microphones that I
have used seem to do fine in the rain when covered with fleece or fur covered
windscreen and a sufficient cage to keep the wet material away from the
microphone.  Placement in a dry spot under a tree can be a good idea. Just take
them out of their wet clothes to dry as soon as possible. If you plan to record
in wet environments, I think you will want to invest in external microphones,
and keep your recorder better protected.

John Hartog
rockscallop.org

--- In  "Chuck C" <>