Re: [Nature Recordists] A device (or mixer) that monitors in decoded

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] A device (or mixer) that monitors in decoded
From: Mitch Hill <>
M-S but records discrete tracks

On 9/29/2011 12:06 AM, markrosoftlives wrote:
> Hey - I'm new to the forum and apologize if this has been asked before (i
>searched for it, unsuccessfully)
>
> I do a lot of recording for film and radio and am looking to upgrade to a
>Sennhieser M-S setup to record ambiences and FX. But I need a new recording
>device too (I have a Sony D-50) and really want one that allows me to MONITOR
>in
>stereo (in other words, the M-S signals decoded) but RECORD the mid and side
>as
>discrete tracks (in other words, the M-S signals un-decoded). I know the Sound
>Devices 702, 722, etc... all do that, but I'm hoping to find a cheaper
>solution
>that still sounds good and is reliable.
>
> So far the only thing that seems reasonable is trying to find a Sound Devices
>MP-2 (this came before the SD MixPre, which came before the SD Mix-Pre-D). The
>MP-2 seems to be able to do this and then I could run that into my Sony D-50.
>The problem is they're old and I can't find any used ones anywhere. Does
>anyone
>know where I can find one or have one they're looking to sell??? (or a 702 or
>722 for that matter!?)
>
> If I can't find a MP-2 or a used 702, can anyone recommend a good recording
>device that has this feature?
>
> Thank you so much for your help!
> Mark

Hi Mark,

I started out with a Sound Devices MixPre feeding a Marantz PMD661
recorder.   Looking for more mic inputs,I have tried the Tascam DR-680
which worked well as a 6 channel recorder however the operating system
features of the DR-680 neither operated as described  and did not work
for me in what I was recording as well as the Marantz PMD661.

The solution I found was to return the DR-680 and I purchased a Sound
Devices "302" preamp/mixer to use with the MixPre and feed the Marantz
PMD661 line inputrs which gave me 5 mic input channels. This worked so
well in my application that within weeks of purchasing the "302", being
very impressed and pleased with its operation and flexibility, I
purchased a second "302"...

Part of the secret to the success of the SD "302" as well as the MixPre,
is that the stereo buss in these units can be linked with a jumper cable
made by SD specifically for the purpose.  This gives me a total of 8 low
noise high gain microphone inputs, each with its own mixer control,
feeding a common stereo bus fed into the line inputs of the PMD661
recorder.

What is an outstanding feature of using SD "302" Mix/pre units this way
is the switch selectable headphone monitoring of these units. You can
monitor each microphone individually or in several modes as well as the
stereo output via a 11 position rotary switch in each unit controlling
the input to the headphone monitor stage.

Mitch Hill

(Sent from HP DV6T)