AT815a shotgun

Subject: AT815a shotgun
From: "Chris Edwards" chris2edwards
Date: Sat Oct 1, 2011 6:52 am ((PDT))
A friend is selling one of these at hopefully a good price.  I'm wondering
if it might make a worthwhile alternative to my Telinga, for recording
birds.

Quite a few folk on this list seem to use shotguns, and I sometimes wonder
what I'm missing (having never used a shotgun before).  But I kind of
imagine this AT815a will be quite noisy, susceptible to wind noise, and
unwieldy (it's about 20 inches long, with connector!).

Recorder is PCM-M10.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Chris

        AT815a
        Output is low impedance: 600 Ohms.
        Max input level: 120dB.
        Frequency response: 40 to 20,000Hz.
        Signal to noise ratio: greater than 50dB at 1kHz
        Battery life: 4,000 hours
        Overall length excluding cable: 46 centimetres/18 inches
        Weight: 260g/9oz