[Top] [All Lists]

Re: A device (or mixer) that monitors in decoded M-S but records dis

Subject: Re: A device (or mixer) that monitors in decoded M-S but records dis
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:04 am ((PDT))
Ive been made aware that the DR40 manual is not very clear if MS decode is =
possible while monitoring.
Since the path would be MS -> D50 -> Line out -> DR40 MS decode on -> LR he=
adphone, all that really matters if if the headphone output from the DR40 i=
s left / right stereo when any input is Mid/Side. I guess this is rather re=
dundant if the DR40's inputs are quiet.

The DR680 also mentioned may be a better option. The extra inputs could be =
used in the future with surround mics etc.


--- In  "Mike Rooke" <> wrote:
> Hi,
> Related posts:
> If your able to roll your own,
> 3.5mm plug from the D50 to this:-
> 3.5mm socket to headphones.
> Its passive and doesn't have any adjustment for stereo width
> unless a trimmer / pot is added.
> I actually have one of those transformers "somewhere" and the D50, but ne=
ver got around to making the decoder.
> I'll send out the hounds to find it and write back with my findings, in p=
articular if the D50's headphone output level is high enough to drive the t=
ransformer and a pair of headphones plugged into it without significant los=
s of volume.
> Related:-
> I also found this from AEA
> ---
> New option:-
> Tascam DR40 features MS decode plus XLR input's but I highly doubt its pr=
e's are as quiet as the D50's. I'll find out mid October.
> Perhaps this is cheap enough @200ish USD to use as a decoder if you take =
the D50's line out to the DR40's line in with MS decode on?
> -Mike.
> --- In  "markrosoftlives" <tenniselbow@>=
> >
> > Hey - I'm new to the forum and apologize if this has been asked before =
(i searched for it, unsuccessfully)
> >
> > I do a lot of recording for film and radio and am looking to upgrade to=
 a Sennhieser M-S setup to record ambiences and FX. But I need a new record=
ing device too (I have a Sony D-50) and really want one that allows me to M=
ONITOR in stereo (in other words, the M-S signals decoded) but RECORD the m=
id and side as discrete tracks (in other words, the M-S signals un-decoded)=
. I know the Sound Devices 702, 722, etc... all do that, but I'm hoping to =
find a cheaper solution that still sounds good and is reliable.
> >
> > So far the only thing that seems reasonable is trying to find a Sound D=
evices MP-2 (this came before the SD MixPre, which came before the SD Mix-P=
re-D). The MP-2 seems to be able to do this and then I could run that into =
my Sony D-50. The problem is they're old and I can't find any used ones any=
where. Does anyone know where I can find one or have one they're looking to=
 sell??? (or a 702 or 722 for that matter!?)
> >
> > If I can't find a MP-2 or a used 702, can anyone recommend a good recor=
ding device that has this feature?
> >
> > Thank you so much for your help!
> > Mark
> >

"While a picture is worth a thousand words, a
sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause.

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:


<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>

The University of NSW School of Computer and Engineering takes no responsibility for the contents of this archive. It is purely a compilation of material sent by many people to the naturerecordists mailing list. It has not been checked for accuracy nor its content verified in any way. If you wish to get material removed from the archive or have other queries about the archive e-mail Andrew Taylor at this address: andrewt@cse.unsw.EDU.AU