[Top] [All Lists]

A device (or mixer) that monitors in decoded M-S but records discret

Subject: A device (or mixer) that monitors in decoded M-S but records discret
From: "markrosoftlives" markrosoftlives
Date: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:06 pm ((PDT))
Hey - I'm new to the forum and apologize if this has been asked before (i s=
earched for it, unsuccessfully)

I do a lot of recording for film and radio and am looking to upgrade to a S=
ennhieser M-S setup to record ambiences and FX. But I need a new recording =
device too (I have a Sony D-50) and really want one that allows me to MONIT=
OR in stereo (in other words, the M-S signals decoded) but RECORD the mid a=
nd side as discrete tracks (in other words, the M-S signals un-decoded). I =
know the Sound Devices 702, 722, etc... all do that, but I'm hoping to find=
 a cheaper solution that still sounds good and is reliable.

So far the only thing that seems reasonable is trying to find a Sound Devic=
es MP-2 (this came before the SD MixPre, which came before the SD Mix-Pre-D=
). The MP-2 seems to be able to do this and then I could run that into my S=
ony D-50. The problem is they're old and I can't find any used ones anywher=
e. Does anyone know where I can find one or have one they're looking to sel=
l??? (or a 702 or 722 for that matter!?)

If I can't find a MP-2 or a used 702, can anyone recommend a good recording=
 device that has this feature?

Thank you so much for your help!

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • A device (or mixer) that monitors in decoded M-S but records discret, markrosoftlives <=

The University of NSW School of Computer and Engineering takes no responsibility for the contents of this archive. It is purely a compilation of material sent by many people to the naturerecordists mailing list. It has not been checked for accuracy nor its content verified in any way. If you wish to get material removed from the archive or have other queries about the archive e-mail Andrew Taylor at this address: andrewt@cse.unsw.EDU.AU