3. Re: DPA 5100 Surround Mic

Subject: 3. Re: DPA 5100 Surround Mic
From: "kingsleyreeve" kingsleyreeve
Date: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:53 pm ((PDT))
hi Dan,

thanks for your post. i completely agree with you regarding self-noise maxi=
mums.
i was initially (and with fingers crossed) hoping that the stated A-weighte=
d 19dBA rating for the front three channels was ultra conservative and that=
 it would 'perform' better.
it clearly didn't in that regards.

not that i've extolled any particular virtues regarding this mic for nature=
 use, if there are folks out there who have needs other than mine (music or=
 multimedia) and would be interested in the mic, please get in touch. it is=
 in mint condition and barely seen six months in the world here...

kingsley

--- In  Dan Dugan <> wrote:

> Rob Danielson has suggested that mics for soundscape recording should hav=
e a maximum of 16 dBA self-noise. Of course less is better, that's the high=
est level that might be tolerable in a mic that offers other outstanding vi=
rtues. Unfortunately the spec for the 5100 system doesn't make it, and your=
 experience has reinforced our opinion. Sorry!

> -Dan
>

> > thanks for giving me the space and time to pen this bloated testament. =
hopefully it will assist others in some small way.

> > with appreciation,
> >
> > kingsley reeve
> >

> > --- In  "myles.thompson" <mmyleso@> wr=
ote:

> >> Thanks Dan. I'll stick to M/S and dabble with ORTF when I get the chan=
ce.

soundscapes, 18-23 dBA. Good, but not great.