Re: Advice for a beginner

Subject: Re: Advice for a beginner
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:35 pm ((PDT))
Hi Marc,

I have not used the Zoom H1 but your recording of the Bell Miners was
lovely, complete with dripping water, and any self noise was
minimal.  Mind you the Bell Miners do have loud calls so that would
have helped.  The Nattai track had more noise but lovely Brown
Thornbills.

You will have to decide if you want to record in mono or stereo.  If
you want recordings like Paul Jacobson and Andrew Skeoch you will
need to go with stereo.  The recording by Paul on the AWSRG page
probably does not have any filtering at all and definitely has no
mixing of sounds, i.e. this is a true audio picture of the location.
Paul uses low noise mics Audio Technica 3032, a pair of them, and in
this case they were mounted in a home made rig similar to one of Curt
Olson's, see  http://www.trackseventeen.com/mic_rigs.html

You will see from Andrew's web site that he now uses Sennheiser MKH20
mics in a Knapp-modified SASS head.  Paul's rig and Andrew's rig give
similar results in sound quality.  Andrew uses a Sound Devices 722
recorder, Paul was using a Tascam HDP2 Oade modified, for the
Gundabooka track.

I made a thunderstorm comparison of a SASS rig same as Andrew's
running to a Sound Devices 702, compared with my home made Powys SASS
Lite rig to an Olympus LS10, you can hear the results at the bottom
of my recording gear page   http://www.caperteebirder.com/index.php?
p=1_17_recording-gear   .  The Lite rig compares very well!  This is
just to show you that you do not necessarily need to spend a huge
amount of money to get good results.

More examples from my SASS Lite rig here:    http://
www.caperteebirder.com/index.php?p=1_19_sounds    I have not used any
filtering or mixing, these are raw recordings.

The AWSRG (Australian Wildlife Sound Recording Group) website is
currently not fully operational as we are changing over web masters.
Should anyone wish to join it is around $50 a year for 2 journals and
2 CDs.  Please contact me and I will forward your details to our
secretary.  Our next workshop will be in Western Australia 18-23
September!

Vicki Powys
Sound Editor