New Soundscape Ecology article

Subject: New Soundscape Ecology article
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Thu Aug 4, 2011 4:25 pm ((PDT))
As many of you know, I have been part of an international team headed
by some folks in the Envirosonics Department at Michigan State
University, Purdue and Urbino University (Italy) , who have been
studying and developing protocols for biophonic field studies in
soundscape ecology over the past decade.

This year we have published two major articles: the first in
BioScience that was called to the group's attention in April, and the
second appears in Landscape Ecology
http://www.springerlink.com/openurl.asp?genre=article&id=doi:10.1007/s10980-011-9639-6

. This one -- recorded at four sites over the course of a year in
Sequoia National Park -- took nearly a decade to get peer reviewed
because the concept is so new. We are really proud to offer the
overview. For the record, the major players in the field of Soundscape
Ecology are Stuart Gage (Emeritus from Michigan State University) and
the person who first took seriously the idea that biophony (Krause,
1998) could be used as an evaluation tool to measure habitat health,
Bryan Pijanowski, Purdue Professor, who has taken Gage's model and
fleshed it out with his graduate students like Brian Napoletano, and
Almo Farnina from Italy, a professor in the Physics and Informatics at
Urbino; and one of my co-authors, Yooeong Joo.

You may not be able to download the entire current document without
subscription but if it interests anyone, please let me know (off list)
and I'll be happy to forward a copy to you.

Bernie Krause

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442