[Nature Recordists] The story so far... (what next?)

Subject: [Nature Recordists] The story so far... (what next?)
From: zackman_87 <>
=A0
Hello everyone,

My name is Zack, located out of Alberta, Canada. I've always had an interes=
t in
live theatre sound, studio recording, and electronic production. I grew up =
on a
prairie farm in rural Alberta, and now realizing that my parents will be
retiring and moving on in a few years, want to go back and capture the
soundscapes of the land while I'm able to.

I've used the Zoom H4N many times in the past, and although the quality of =
the
onboard mics are well-suited to an overall 'image' of the area, I've found =
that
the middle of a prairie field in winter brings out the noise in the circuit=
s,
and there's an overall 'haze' to the sound.

I purchased a pair of Sennheiser ME66 shotguns, which are excellent for
individual species recording, but seem to be very thin for ambiances.

My budget doesn't stretch too far, so my plan is to find a used Fostex FR2L=
E,
which is supposedly very low noise, and a nice step between the Zoom and
something like a Sound Devices 702 - any other suggestions?

My main question is what mics and overall setup to use. Omnis? Cardioid? A=

modified SASS or Jecklin Disk? My main concerns are self-noise, wide freque=
ncy
response, and price (I'm able to DIY what I need to). I'd be mixing down to=

stereo. I've heard good things about the AT30302/AT4022 omnis; is there any=
thing
else I should consider? I'm focusing almost exclusively on soundscapes.

Thank you for your time,

--Zack G.