3. Re: Best stereo solution for nature recording while backpacking thro

Subject: 3. Re: Best stereo solution for nature recording while backpacking thro
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:18 am ((PDT))

>I have a Pro6 handle with stereo dat mic.
>Do you think i can power this combo with just a 9V battery?

Yes, either I can sell a powering unit to you or give you info on
DIY. Please get in touch off line.

>In ultra ultra light situations one could skip the bulky Phantom
>power supply/preamp and just use a PCM-M10 or the like (although
>external preamps would always be better )
>The 9V rechargables nowadays hold some 550mAh.

Yes, and in such a case you might like to just have a single battery
with small cables attached.
I think the Alkalines keep at least 800 mAh, which means that you
would surely run the combo some 100 hours on a battery.

>There is one more thing i want to mention: i left the microphone in
>the tent on holiday and when i arrived in the evening the glue that
>attaches the foam to the disk had become loose because of the heat.
>It was a very hot day in the south of france, so i think the
>temperature in the tent was maybe over 40 degrees celcius... Which
>glue do you recommend to fix this problem?

It shouldn't do that! I have kept microphones in the car trunk in
full sunshine in Cyprus!?
I wonder what happened.

It's melting glue. If you are lucky you can heat up the plastic
holder (NOT the foam!) by holding a hair dryer close to it. The
problem with hair dryers is that they have a temp. sensor switching
off the heat if you come too close to a surface.
A hot air gun will be better, but might melt the holder too, so be a
bit careful.
Best is that you get a glue-gun, it is in any case cheaper than
sending the mic here. Then heat the holder as much as possible with a
hair dryer BEFORE you apply the new melting glue. Please do NOT
experiment with contact glue and similar.

>I'll certainly look into the tips to reduce handling noise!

I am happy for all hints on the subject!

Klas