my first bird recording

Subject: my first bird recording
From: "Abhijit Menon-Sen"
Date: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:21 pm ((PDT))
Hello, (fellow!) Nature Recordists.

After years of (mostly) lurking on this list, I now have my own Olympus
LS-11 recorder, and I paid a visit to Okhla Bird Sanctuary in New Delhi,
India, to try it out this morning.

I was lucky enough to quickly find one of my favourite singers, the
Yellow-bellied Prinia (Prinia flaviventris), singing away in the Typha
reedbeds by the Yamuna river, and doubly lucky that I managed to get a
decent recording on the first attempt. The background noise is Cicadas,
but if you listen closely, you can hear the wing-snapping display
typical of Prinias.

Here's an MP3: http://toroid.org/ams/snd/prinia-flaviventris.mp3

http://toroid.org/ams/etc/first-bird-recording has more details, and a
photograph of the species (but not the bird I recorded, which I didn't
see).

(Comments are welcome, including suggestions about how to improve my
future recordings.)

-- ams