Re: Interesting places in Lake District?

Subject: Re: Interesting places in Lake District?
From: "Roger.Norwood" bigrogsound
Date: Tue Jul 5, 2011 2:48 pm ((PDT))
Ok so its a while since I was recording in Cumbria and it was by mistake a Bank
Holiday weekend  in August,so I turned away from the crowded tourist routes and
headed for some of the more of the beaten track places. Ulverston canal on the
A590 is a little treasure. It runs from Canal Street between Newland Road and
Quay Street. Take the narrow lane opposite No 23 and follow it down to the sea
lock at Canal Foot. The estuary views and recording opportunities are
breath-taking. Another good vantage point is South End on Walney Island,
Barrow-in-Furness LA14 3YQ, Further north up the coast between Ravenglass &
Seascale is Drigg on the B5344. Go down Station Road, cross the railway tracks
and continue on to Shore Road and follow to the end and deserted beaches. In
Ravenglass take the miniature steam railway up to Boot. Turn left out of the
station and walk as far as you like. If you make it to Wasdale Head it will be
well worth it. If its not busy you might be able to take a bicycle on the
train. Make sure you have an large scale OS map, water, good walking
shoes/boots, waterproofs and emergency rations. The British weather is fickle
this time of year and Cumbria has the highest rainfall in the UK. Enjoy our
beautiful countryside. Roger