2. Re: parabolic mics

Subject: 2. Re: parabolic mics
From: "hartogj" hartogj
Date: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:54 pm ((PDT))
Hi Dani,
I put two em-172 capsules for stereo in a Telinga parabolic dish, and it wo=
rks fine. I made a DIY handle and mount from some plumbing parts. The em-17=
2 require plug in power, not phantom power, so I think you would need a sep=
arate battery box to use them with your h4.
I use a SD702 for natural soundscapes with quiet mics in quiet settings, an=
d a Sony M10 for pip mics and louder ambient settings.

John Hartog
www.rockscallop.org

--- In  "diesel33dsl" <> wrot=
e:

> Hi back;
> This is real info and I appreciatte it very much;
>
> I'll be using my old zoom h4.
> When I bought it, it was one of the only recorders with XLR inputs, phant=
om supply for my mkh and some features I needed.
> To be honest, I'd buy a sound devices 722, maybe next decade when I save =
all the money it costs.
> Some other advice on recorders?
>
> FYI, I am not interested only in wildlife, but in any interesting sound t=
hat makes a place unique, or is unique itself.
> Sounds in extinction, and specially I love those which are rhythmic... in=
dustrial, loopable... althought these are all related to humans :)

> Thanks John.
>

> --- In  "hartogj" <hartogj_1999@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Dani,
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > "Question 1: Will you advice buying myself a prepared parabola / mount =
/ handle like the Telinga one, as I suspect? Or are there other choices / b=
rands? cheaper? I know the umbrella/wok thing :) but is it worth it?"

> > A1: I have not heard of aftermarket brands of parabola mounts, so eithe=
r buy the one that is designed for the particular dish, or DIY make your ow=
n. You will get much improved performance from a hard surface with a precis=
e parabolic curve than a fabric surface with an uncertain curve.

> > "Question 2: Is the parabola approach designed to be used with JUST omn=
i mics? Are other caption patterns allowed, or is it senseless to use direc=
tional mics here?"

> > A2: No, yes, perhaps. Try it with what ever mics you have on hand. But =
if you need to buy mics for your dish, start with omnis.

> > "Question 3: Aware of how a smaller mic will be attached to a parabola =
in much an easier way than a shotgun mic... Is it possible to use the parab=
ola approach with shotgun mics like mine (sennh mkh 416) pointing towards t=
he center of dish?'

> > A3: The capsule membrane needs to be positioned in the focus of the par=
abola, so your mic is probably too long to fit. The tube might need to exte=
nd out through the mounting hole, and that does not seem very practical to =
me.

> > Q3b: "Does this enhance directivity for a shotgun?"
> >
> > A3b:  That depends on your definition of "enhance":) Once you put it in=
 the dish, I think it is no longer a shotgun mic.

> > "Question 4: Has anyone ever tried to use a shotgun like mine with a pa=
rabola behind it, both pointing in same direction? (opposite way, unlike sm=
all/lavalier mics pointing to center of dish) > Will this improve results o=
f a shotgun? What do you believe this experiment will cause? -if it has any=
 sense-"

> > A4: Yes they have tried it, but no I have not.  The mic will no longer =
be a shotgun mic, but an altered parabolic mic.  Remember, the capsule memb=
rane, not any other section of the tube, needs to be positioned in the focu=
s of the parabola. Your experiment will reveal to you the truth.

> > What recorder will you be using? There are inexpensive options for omni=
 microphones that might work better than your mkh-416 in this application. =
This would keep your shotgun mic free for the close up work it is designed =
for.

> > John Hartog
> > www.rockscallop.org
> >

> > --- In  "diesel33dsl" <dieselmil@> wro=
te:

> > > Hello all;
> > > It's been good to see all your thoughts about parabolas and specially=
 recorder noises.
> > > But, apart from some advice about not starting with a parabola (thank=
s, and I must say here I am not that newbie), no one has answered the rest =
of my questions... which were more important.

> > > I am not persuading you to answer, but one can know there are experts=
 here because of their answers, and I am sure they would easily reply with =
a few words to my original questions, which had nothing to do with recorder=
 noise... :)

> > > Thanks !
> > >
> > > DSL
> > >
> > > --- In  "diesel33dsl" <dieselmil@> w=
rote:

ostly used for tv and movies). I have good wind protection gear like foams =
and zeppelin...

und without focusing so much on distant sources.