1. Introduction

Subject: 1. Introduction
From: "kincorning" kincorning
Date: Wed May 25, 2011 6:53 am ((PDT))
I am a newly joined member of the group. The moderator's email asked that I=
 introduce myself, which I thought I would do with a recording and a relate=
d question.

I am mid-50's, born in the USA, but living in Surrey in the UK (my wife is =
English). I am a very experienced photographer, but a complete novice at so=
und recording. We travel quite extensively, and it was our travels in Afric=
a which initially prompted my interest in capturing sound. For the last sev=
eral visits there I've been telling myself not to go back without something=
 to make recordings of the music (I know, not the focus of this forum) and =
the natural ambiences we encounter.

So, I followed through and acquired a small recording setup which I am in t=
he process of learning to use along with the associated software and post-p=
rocessing.

The recording at the link below is one of my early attempts, made in our ho=
me garden. We live in a rural part of the Surrey Hills, but being only 30 m=
iles south of London the country lanes get a fair amount of traffic, plus w=
e are about equidistant between the two major airports, Heathrow and Gatwic=
k. Thus, extended stretches of real quiet are rare. Nonetheless, this time =
of year the peak of the dawn chorus is before the airports open, and on wee=
kends there is less road traffic, so I can sometimes manage a few reasonabl=
y clear stretches of recording time.

<a>http://soundcloud.com/kin-corning/dawn-chorus-surrey-hills-uk</a>

Small sections of background drone are audible in a couple places (most not=
iceably around the 5:40 mark -- I can't even tell for sure if it is a dista=
nt car or a home furnace firing up or what exactly).  What would you do ass=
uming you wanted to make that go away?  Try to subdue it in post-processing=
?  Ignore it?  Scrap the recording and try again?  I have read extensively =
through the archives here on low filtering and so forth (some of which focu=
ses on post-processing techniques that are beyond my skills at this point).=
 I put a slight low shelf filter on the recording (rolling off from about 1=
50Hz downward) which seemed to help a bit to my untrained ears.  Anything h=
igher seemed to start to affect the soft songbird wingbeats near the beginn=
ing and scattered elsewhere in the recording.  I can't even determine the e=
xact frequency of the mechanical noise which remains, though I think it is =
mixed in with the lower frequencies of the Woodpigeon calls, which if so wo=
uld presumably complicate any attempt to mute it.

I'd be happy for any critical commentary on the recording (blunt comments a=
re fine!) in the interest of learning.

I'll try to contribute back to the group if a topic comes up where I can he=
lp, though with the obvious expertise here I'm afraid that may not be very =
often.

Regards,

Kin Corning

<*> Your email settings: