recorders with timed recording feature

Subject: recorders with timed recording feature
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Wed May 18, 2011 10:12 am ((PDT))
I have particular interest in field recorders that can start and stop recor=
ding based on an internal timer.  I see by recent posts that a few other na=
ture recordists do as well!

At present, in my opinion, the field recorders with the most sophisticated =
timed recording features are the Olympus LS-7 (about $200) and the Yamaha P=
ocketrak W24 (about $300). These two recorders offer slightly different tim=
ed recording features.

Let's start with the LS-7. It offers three timer presets, enabling you to m=
ake timed recordings up to three times in the same day.  Recordings can be =
set for a single session, or to repeat on a daily or weekly schedule.

The LS-7 allows you to set timer record mode (PCM, MP3, or WMA) and bitrate=
, mic sensitivity, and which folder to use to store the resulting file.  Th=
e LS-7 will use these settings regardless of the way the recorder is set wh=
en the recording starts.

In addition to timed recording, the LS-7 offers timed playback of a recorde=
d file.  You specify the time and the volume of the playback.

The Yamaha W24 offers many of the same features of the LS-7, plus the abili=
ty to select days of the week for timed recording.  For example, the W24 co=
uld be set to make timed recordings on Monday, Wednesday and Friday each we=
ek.

Considering cost, preamp quality and features, I find the LS-7 to be a bett=
er choice for timed recording.  The ability to schedule three recording per=
iods in the same day can be useful.  You might also schedule playback of a =
recording of a target species, and then record the sounds that follow in th=
e next few minutes.

--oryoki