Re: Newbie Canadian Seeks Advise

Subject: Re: Newbie Canadian Seeks Advise
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Wed May 18, 2011 7:49 am ((PDT))
> OK, as with any piece of electronic equipment (including computers,
> TVs, etc) there is the age-old dilemma of a 'newbie' deciding
> whether to 'go cheap' at the start (just in case it all doesn't pan
> out), or to do the 'go big or go home' route so avoid
> disappointments and limitations later.  With this in mind, I ask for
> your advise!

Darren,

Welcome to a fascinating hobby. First off nobody seems to agree on the
ideal setup but that is what chat lists are for. :-)

Yes, go cheap but not so cheap that you will want to throw the
startout kit away immediately and start again. You can of course sell
it on eBay, but that is quite a good place to start looking for gear
anyway as people like to upgrade.

I'm going backwards and experimenting with cheap mics and am surprised
at the quality of the recordings I'm getting but I'm still based on my
"pro" gear.

The big decision is whether to go for 'pro' XLR plugs or "am" 3.5mm
jacks which don't mix well. Also XLR systems are usually "balanced
line" when you can use long mic leads. The expense is that you will
need a mixer input stage or a 'pro' recorder with that built in. The
one exception I've found, and use, is the Tascam DR-100 which has
input XLR sockets with phantom powering but it does need external
power as battery life is not much more than 1 hour with mic powering
on.

With mics, you get what you pay for exponentially. You pay a heap more
for marginal improvements. You will read most people's prefernces on
this list which is mid-range stuff and very good. However, before you
buy a cheap mic, look at the price of a "basket" or "blimp" type
windshield which you will need unless you can guarantee calm weather.
I've been buying from India:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3D400125713993

If you are uncertain buy a Zoom H1 or a Tascam DR-05 (I prefer the
Tascam series), a half decent pair of headphones and a stereo mic and
get recording. I'll let others recommend mics but the built-in ones on
recorders are very disappointing. If you get enthusiastic, you will
soon see why we start spending zeroes on our kits, but it will give
you a chance - if you should change your mind (unlikely) - to dip out
and resort to eBay. :-)

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce