Re: [Nature Recordists] Sound ID

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Sound ID
From: Martyn Stewart <>
Apparently the bird uses it's feathers to make this sound, Very common befo=
re
dawn, they will fly to the highest high and on the downwind it produces thi=
amazing sound. Love Snipes.

Taken off the web: The hollow, low whistled sound called "winnowing" is use=
d by
the male to defend his territory and attract a mate. It is not a vocal soun=
d,
but rather is produced by air flowing over the outstretched tail feathers w=
ith
each wingbeat. The outer tail feathers are greatly modified to produce the =
sound
and are thin and curved.

Martyn
Martyn Stewart