Preliminary Review: Dodotronic's Ultramic200K

Subject: Preliminary Review: Dodotronic's Ultramic200K
From: "ndbdxr" ndbdxr
Date: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:54 pm ((PDT))
Hi Folks,

Here is just a quick, preliminary Review of the new Ultramic200K -

I received the Ultramic200K prototype today (here in New York, USA), less than
a week after ordering it. The mic was well packaged, with bubble wrap and a
padded envelope.
The microphone has 'ULTRAMIC200K Distribuito Da DODOTRONIC Serial:' printed on
it, in neat, black lettering. In this case, since I have one of the first
prototypes, there's no serial number.
The unit is lightweight and very compact. Upon plugging it in to my laptop
(running Windows XP) via USB cable, It is recognized right away.

I immediately launched the SeaWave software, since I knew it already has a
convenient template for this microphone. After launching the SeaWave
application, you can simply click on the 'Quick Settings' pull-down menu on the
right, and select 'UltraMic 200K 16 bits'
I've found two ways to get it ready to record - Although, there may be others.
I'll confess: I have not read the User Guide yet, so I don't know about all the
capabilities of this software (yet).

You may either click on the 'Rec Mode' button (lower left side of screen); or
click 'Task' on the upper left area of the screen (sometimes referred to as the
file or menu bar) and choose 'Real-Time Analysis + Recording'. Either of these
actions will cause the large 'Start' button to turn red, and read 'REC Start'.
A single-click on that button begins recording.
The first thing that struck me, was it's ability as a microphone in general:
Outstanding! This is funny, because for the past 2 days, I've been shopping for
a new microphone for regular (audible) wildlife sound recording.
Last Winter, I sold my Sennheiser MKE-300 microphone (I figured I had enough
portable recorders, w/ built-in mics). But, now that Spring has arrived, I
realize that I am in need of a good shotgun microphone. I was trying to decide
between the Audio Technica AT-897 and the Rode NTG-2...I'm on a low budget.
But, who knows? This UltraMic could be all I need! I'll find out tomorrow
morning, when I try to record some of the "Dawn Chorus of birds" with it. And,
as I type, nightfall is approaching... I must set the mic up, in case any bats
fly by. I'm currently in my In-Law's neighborhood: Lots of good songbirds, and
even singing insects when it's warmer... but, Never any bats! Can you believe
it? Well, we shall see. Further, detailed reviews of this new UltraMic will
follow.

Best regards,
-Al