Re: Two quick technical questions about Marantz PMD670

Subject: Re: Two quick technical questions about Marantz PMD670
From: "Mitch Hill" wa1ykn
Date: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:24 pm ((PDT))
David makes a good point about most birds having a double syrinx...

I want to add that in wildlife recording, clipping is unusual as most
wildlife sounds are not as loud as man made sounds therefore you rarely
have that as an issue and I do as David says, I set my recorder gain to the=

noise level...

If the recorder gain is set such that it is clipping, the distortion
clipping creates is usually quite distinguishable and a quick way in the
field to identify clipping. Most modern PCM digital recorders have such a
large dynamic range that by setting gain based on the ambient noise floor
you'll not find very many wildlife sounds that will drive the recorder into=

clipping has been my experience...

--

Thanks,
Mitch & Shadow...