Re: Windscreen for KU-81i?

Subject: Re: Windscreen for KU-81i?
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:07 am ((PDT))
Hi Jon,
           I believe the windscreen maybe the original one designed for the=
 Ku81i. Im using the WSB windscreen designed for the KU100 on my Sennheiser=
 head but this is quite inadequate for anything other than a light breeze. =
Ive even resorted to using the "deadwombat" fur cover pulled over the Sennh=
eiser head which works quite well but makes it look like a doll with a mohi=
can! A foam wrap may work better and its something Ive been meaning to inve=
stigate. Things to consider, distance from the mic element to the outer fur=
/foam - fake fur isnt ideal since this may attenuate far more than foam onc=
e saturated in a good downpour. Looking at a Rode windscreen they use fake =
fur, and a silk like material on the inside. The fur disrupts the flow and =
the silk further prevents the wind reaching the mic element. I also recall =
Neumann have a paper about windscreens over on the AES site - it could also=
 be on the Neumann main web site. You should be able to find some info via =
Rycotes website or just call them they are very helpful.
A fake fur cover with a dead air space near the ears may work, using a bask=
et or some structure to keep the fur away from the ear. The KU100 / WSB win=
dscreen foam thickness varies near the ear where it touches the head. Its f=
ar thicker near the center of the foam cup.

In the movie I noticed the a large bin like device made from rubberized hog=
s hair - this alone may provide a decent amount of wind protection but base=
d on the movie audio I noticed this attenuated at least 10dB above 3Khz and=
 around 15dB at 10Khz.

Ill investigate foam wraps with a silk / polyester layer between them and a=
 decent thickness of foam on the outside. Something Ive been looking for bu=
t have not come across anything readymade.

My latest binaural rig includes a structure in the ear canals that makes th=
em water resistant, but this also seems to reduce the amount  of wind noise=
. -Famous last words next time its on the beach no doubt my penny jar will =
be full.

BR
Mike.

--- In  "Jon M." <> wrote:

> Just got finished watching the documentary Soundtracker about Mr. Hempton=
 and I was wondering what kind of windscreen he was using on his KU-81i.  I=
t looks like a headband.  Maybe it wasn't intended for that purpose but if =
not then what considerations go into windscreens?  Is there an accepted mat=
erial or any sort of tolerances that must be adhered to?