Connecting capsule to mic preamp by cable?

Subject: Connecting capsule to mic preamp by cable?
From: "im_rawes" im_rawes
Date: Fri Mar 4, 2011 3:20 am ((PST))
Hello, hope someone can help with this query.

I'm wanting to make a new head-worn stereo mic setup from a pair of industrial
ear defenders (which I've started taking apart) and a couple of high-quality
mics. I already have Shure WL-183s but want to step up in quality.

However, I can't afford compact mics like the DPA 4051/52/53. So I was
wondering if there was a way to make use of mics with detachable capsules, like
the AKG ULS. With these, the capsules screw onto the body of the
preamp/powering unit.

Is there a way to interpose a length of cable between the capsule (so it can go
inside the ear defender) and the preamp (so it can go in a pocket)? I can't
seem to find any ready-made product that does this - is there one?

The Rode NT6 is designed to work like this - its capsule is connected to the
preamp by a length of cable. But the capsule's pretty big, and I'm looking for
a higher quality mic.

Cheers,
Ian

- - -