Introduction of a new member - Expanding the dimension of recording

Subject: Introduction of a new member - Expanding the dimension of recording
From: "Joel Goodwin"
Date: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:59 am ((PST))
Greetings to all!

  My name is Joel.  I live by a lake not far from Austin TX.  The nature
sounds where I live at are heavenly particularly in the morning and evening=
.
I have always wanted to mount microphones outside the house and feed the
sounds into the house.  Now that I have been retired, I am working on that
dream of collecting and feeding those outdoor nature sounds into my home.

  Since I was about 10 years old, I have been into sound.  The sounds I hav=
played with up till now are related to music.  This includes speaker
position/quality, amplifier power for clarity and recording to move the
source to a usable media based on where I wanted to listen to the music.  M=
desire now is to use the knowledge and understanding of sound I have to
capture the nature sounds available where I live and share with anyone who
has common interest in the natural songs of nature.

  Formally educated as and Electrical Engineer, I have been in the computer
industry for over 30 years.  In my past I have worked with interfacing many
types of sensors to computers.  Currently I am working on a custom 360
degree microphone array in which the sound will be converted at the source
to digital signals.  Once the signals are digitized, no more signal quality
degradation by trying to feed analog signals over wires.  This will allow m=
to stream the high quality audio data wirelessly over my LAN and onto the
media player I have connected to my home sound system.  I can put the high
quality, low cost microphones anywhere so long as I have power to driver th=
analog to digital converters at the microphones and not worry about signal
loses.

  You might now be asking yourself, "Why does this guy want to join our
group?"  I have a couple of reasons.  First is to see if there is interest
in this group that some of the members may want to have access to a live
nature surround sound stream.  Let me know if you do. If there is enough
interest, I would setup an internet radio station broadcasting in 5.1
surround sound and provide this feed to the group.  Second is to see if the
custom 360 deg. microphone array I am working on would be of interest to
anyone in the group for their recording activities.  Thirdly, for me to be
able to comment on the blogs that I have been reading from this group.  I
find those blogs a rich source of information and ideas.  The final reason
to join this group is to receive help and advice from the group about
collecting quality live nature sound.

  If you have ideas related to the electronics that collects or records
natural sounds and need some help, I may be able to advise on technical way=
of doing the task you are looking for.  Just shoot me an email.  I welcome
comments or questions from everyone in this group.  I am excited to now be
part of this group.  Thanks for letting me join!

Joel Goodwin

Austin, TX USA