Help with a couple of mysteries

Subject: Help with a couple of mysteries
From: "Tom Williams" pterodax
Date: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:18 am ((PST))
Hi all,

Here's a couple of puzzles for anyone with time on their hands this weekend.

The first was passed to me by my father for identification - I think he
recorded it on his mobile phone, which just goes to show that almost everyone
is now carrying recording devices capable of capturing sounds of good enough
quality for identification purposes!

It was recorded a couple of days ago in woodland on one of the lowland heaths
in East Devon. He believes the bird was up in the trees, although he couldn't
see it, and it called repeatedly for around 5 minutes. Neither he nor I has
ever heard anything quite like it - at a guess I'd say it was some kind of
gamebird?

http://soundcloud.com/pterodaktyl/mystery-sound-1

The second sound is one of my recordings. I made it on the 10th December at
around 2,000m on the northern slopes of Mount Teide on Tenerife in the Canary
Islands. The bird was quite a long way off and I was using the built-in mics on
my LS-10, so I had to do some filtering to raise the call above the background
noise. The terrain was best described as high-altitude desert - volcanic sand
and gravel with low scrubby bushes and plants dotted around.

http://soundcloud.com/pterodaktyl/mystery-sound-2

Most of the birds on Tenerife were fairly quiet due to the time of year, but it
was fascinating to hear familiar species like Robin, Blue Tit and Chiffchaff
producing almost unrecognisable songs and calls!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom