Re: Locations east of Portland

Subject: Re: Locations east of Portland
From: "hartogj" hartogj
Date: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:57 pm ((PST))
Hi Danny,
The lower Columbia River is a prime destination for wintering waterfowl,
shorebirds, and gulls. There are many song birds that winter in your area that
might not be singing, but still make plenty of sounds while foraging. Also
there are many many year-round species making all sorts of sounds out there. I
think the main reason people notice less birds this time of year, is because
the people are spending more time indoors, and less chance of having free time
on the nice days.

The challenge for you will not be to find birds, but to find locations with
limited intrusions of anthropogenic noise. For this you may want to head away
from the Columbia River's freeway traffic, and don't come any closer to
Portland than you already are - it is very noisy here. Sorry, I don't have any
specific locations in mind, but maybe try contacting one of the birding groups
in your area.
Perhaps: http://www.ecbcbirds.org/

The weather looks relatively nice for this Sunday.

John Hartog