Recording sounds simultaneously all around the world this Saturday

Subject: Recording sounds simultaneously all around the world this Saturday
From: "" =
.com
Date: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:05 pm ((PST))

Hi all! I'm an artist making a piece called the Simultania Project. It's ab=
out having people from all over the world film & record sound during the sa=
me 1-minute-moment in time on Saturday, November 13, and
then assembling the resulting footage/recordings into a video installation =
that plays back all the simultaneous perspectives together and in sync.

The installation is going to be an immersive experience with projected stre=
ams of simultaneous footage unfolding all over the walls. The sound-scape i=
s going to be equally important and dynamic. The installation is an attempt=
 to give a multi-layered perspective of a single moment in time.

If you'd be interested in participating, you can sign up at <A NAME=3D"http=
://www.simultaniaproject.com">SimultaniaProject.com</A>. There you can also=
 see a rendering of how the installation will look.

The 1-minute-moment happens at 4pm UTC (coordinated universal time), which =
translates to 11am EST / 8am EST / 4pm GMT.

I've got 150+ people from 5 continents taking part, some of them being natu=
re videographers and field recordists. I'll be on NPR's All Things Consider=
ed this Thursday, so hopefully I'll get even more people signed up. It woul=
d be amazing if people from this forum would participate too. Sound recordi=
ngs are very important in this project, and to have people who actually kno=
w what they're doing would be amazing. Any kind of sound works for me - nat=
ure, city, whatever it is as long as it's quality works for me. I've been t=
rying to especially get people to record the natural world because I want v=
iewers of the installation to be reminded that people-less places go on exi=
sting in the midst of our hectic lives, etc.

I'm asking people to time-stamp their sound recordings by setting their wat=
ch to the NIST live time-count displayed at <A NAME=3D"http://www.simultani=
aproject.com">SimultaniaProject.com</A>, and to then audibly indicate the s=
tart of the 1-minute-moment. There are also a couple apps that display the =
NIST time-count, so you don't have to set your watch at all.

The installation will be exhibited with the <A NAME=3D"http://www.streaming=
museum.org">Streaming Museum</A> in New York and with their network of inte=
rnational screens in public spaces. It will also exhibit with <A NAME=3D"ht=
tp://www.hereiselsewhere.com">Here Is Elsewhere</A> in Los Angeles, as well=
 as online at <A NAME=3D"http://www.simultaniaproject.com";>simultaniaprojec=
t.com</A> & <A NAME=3D"http://www.streamingmuseum.org";>streamingmuseum.org<=
/A>.

Thanks so much everybody! I cannot wait to be recording with everyone durin=
g the 1-minute-moment, and I can't wait to see and hear the result of all o=
ur simultaneous recordings!