6. Re: High frequency recording

Subject: 6. Re: High frequency recording
From: "gus" leudar
Date: Tue Nov 9, 2010 6:46 am ((PST))
Thaks again Raimund - I have an annoying habit of asking questions until I
really understand something -
are you saying that there is no advantage to having 4 samples representing =
waveform rather than say 2 samples ? Does this mean 2 samples is sufficient=
 to accurately record a waveform ?

--- In  "Raimund" <> wrot=
e:

> > also wouldnt the type of interpoliation used come in to play here ?
>
> Hi Gus,
>
> As long as we are talking about the theoretic principles of digital sampl=
ing, the type of interpolation should not be an issue. However, there might=
 be poor implementations of D/A converters or sample rate conversion algori=
thms that suffer from inappropriate interpolation algorithms. But as far as=
 I understand, this wouldn't be the problem here.

> > > If I understand correctly David is saying the lower the frequency the=
 higher the resoulution.
> >For example if the sampling as 44.1 khz if you have a frequency of 10
> >khz you will have 4 samples of information representing that signal -
> >if 22 khz only 2 etc etc it may only be half that come to think of it >b=
ut you get the gist.....

> Yes, this is true. However, this not mean that there is anything wrong wi=
th signals that are close to the Nyquist frequency. Increasing the sample r=
ate would just increase the (analog) bandwidth of the recorder, which would=
 of course also provide more temporal details on the waveform.