Re: question about speakers

Subject: Re: question about speakers
From: "gweddig" gweddig
Date: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:54 pm ((PDT))
Hi Sandra,
I cannot speak to this product specifically but rather this type of loudspe=
aker which is mounted behind drywall or glass or other building materials. =
 For general background music or even some paging applications this type of=
 speaker works just fine.  I would even go out on a limb to say this would =
work well for a museum installation for background ambiance.

There are a few drawbacks:
The material that you are coupling the loudspeaker driver to: glass, drywal=
l, plywood will color the sound differently for each material.  For instanc=
e if you have a wall with a glass partition in the middle of it and several=
 speakers arrayed along it, the loudspeaker on the glass will sound differe=
nt than the ones behind the drywall.  They would not be appropriate for mon=
itoring or critical listening.

The other problem is getting to the loudspeaker once it it is sheet-rocked =
in place, if you have a problem with it you have to tear the wall apart.  A=
long with that is getting speaker wire to the loudspeaker is something that=
 is easier before the drywall is put on the wall and much more difficult in=
 an existing wall.

The other thing to watch out for, which is more common in newer buildings w=
ith metal studs, is the potential of causing vibration or rattling loose sc=
rews or construction debris that might be left in the wall

Anyway they are very cool and if they are installed correctly they work rea=
sonably well.  I hope this helps.

--greg weddig
Paradise, CA
http://gregweddig.net

--- In  Sandra Gallo <> wr=
ote:

> Dear all,
> =C2=A0
> I found these speakers=C2=A0very interesting and I need to ask=C2=A0if an=
ybody had any experience with this system?