Re: Recommendations: headphones + spatialization techniques, softwar

Subject: Re: Recommendations: headphones + spatialization techniques, softwar
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Fri Oct 1, 2010 1:12 pm ((PDT))
At 8:05 AM -0700 9/25/10, HelloMyUserNameIs wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm in the market for a pair of headphones for use while monitoring
>as well as editing. I currently use a rather beat-up and inexpensive
>pair of ATH-M30s. It's time to upgrade. My budget is $200 CDN. Any
>suggestions would be most appreciated.
>
>Secondly, I've made mainly stereophonic/two-channel work so far but I'm
>embarking on a spatialized commission (either 5.1 surround sound or
>octaphonic - not sure what the venue can accommodate yet), and I'd
>love to hear any suggestions regarding specific spatialization
>techniques, software, and other resources (websites, books, etc).
>
>Thanks so much,
>
>-Sarah

Hi Sarah and welcome to the list.

Re headphone suggestions, maybe check the list archive as you know
what your needs are faster than us asking about them?
http://tinyurl.com/294mtgf

You hit it on the head. "Venue" is a huge factor in surround
presentation-- especially if you are going to be using "field"
recordings that rely on lower mid range sound reproduction. These
wavelengths are crucial in imaging "ambience" and playback spaces
play havoc with them. Avoiding muddiness and ear fatigue is constant
challenge.

Perhaps the shortest route to the best gear/mixing solutions for your
project is to create a listening environment that is as close as
possible, acoustically, to your "venue." After the speakers and
treatment are in place, you can then start making gear decisions
backwards, methodically trying different micing options and mixing
techniques _in your reference space_. Working with a local audio gear
retailer/rental house might allow you to try out many gear options
and even apply rental fees towards purchase.

Do you have access to surround monitoring now?  You might want to
start listening to surround recordings that relate to your work. Rob
D.