1. Re: Creating delrin mic supports for SASS

Subject: 1. Re: Creating delrin mic supports for SASS
From: "James Shatto" wwwshadow7
Date: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:44 am ((PDT))

I stopped using headphones because of other issues.  If there's any phase c=
ancellation issues between L and R outputs, you don't hear that on headphon=
es.  But you will on speakers, especially if the speakers are fairly close =
together.  I was fighting for over a year because I thought that my mics la=
cked low end.  Turns out that it was a phase cancellation issue.  And more =
to do with my editing than other things.  Constantly wondering why my headp=
hones had better low end than my speakers.

Apparently using sox to concat several files in addition to the speed effec=
t to adjust timing between devices results in the L and R channels somehow =
being adjusted differently.  Ultimately resulting in enough drift between L=
 and R channels to reach full phase reversal at about 20 minutes to 60 minu=
tes and maintain that for an equal amount of time.  Not enough to reach the=
 echo effect that reveals that there's a problem, but enough to cancel most=
 of the low end in most of the recorded content.  In conjunction with other=
 things like too much fake fur for wind protection and you're left in a sta=
te of questioning your gear all the time, when it's not the gear at all. =

Ultimately I ended up processing each channel as a mono channel and rejoini=
ng after editing in a 400+ line bash script.  And wow, what a difference.  =
Granted that 200+ lines of that is to overcome the 4GB limit that sox + aud=
acity seem to get weird on.  Sox creates them, audacity seems to open them,=
 but then only gives you access to just that portion above 4GB.  I would ha=
ve never thought that placing the mics and pressing record was the EASY par=
t of the gig.  Meanwhile it takes longer to process my audio than it does m=
y HD video.

- James